We are delighted to offer for sale this fabulous c. 1902 Panhard et Levassor 16/20HP
On offer we have this most wonderful imposing and powerful of French Veterans, the Creme de la creme of all Veterans the Panhard et Levassor
Powerful 4-cylinder French car
Presented in spectacular restored condition
16/20HP with 4072.cc
New wheels and tyres
Easy to start
Conventional pedal layout.
René Panhard and Émile Levassor built their first cars, a series of four identical models, in Paris during 1891. Other models followed in rapid succession, giving Panhard et Levassor the claim as first in continuous production, as opposed to Germany’s Daimler and Benz, whose early efforts came in ebbs and flows. With French colleagues and competitors Peugeot, Serpollet and De Dion, Panhard & Levassor constituted the world’s earliest automobile industry.
An early adherent to the front-engine, rear-drive configuration, Panhard was recognized by the application of the name Système Panhard to the layout, although another important ingredient, shaft-drive, was not universally adopted by the company until 1913. Panhard & Levassor were pioneers also with wheel steering (1896) and tubed radiators (1897). Chief engineer Arthur Krebs was also a pioneer in carburetion and electric ignition.
Panhard et Levassor’s annual production, which had been in single and double digits, rose above 100 in 1896, the year a four-cylinder, 2,402-cc 8 CV model was introduced. A 12 CV engine followed in 1897, and in 1899 the first 16 CV, 4,387-cc model. Eight were built through 1900, and in 1901 a new 4,072-cc 16 CV Centaure engine replaced the former Phénix powerplant. A further 153 were built through 1903.
This handsome rear-entrance tonneau bearing chassis no. 5033 retains its original engine with the blocks cast in two pairs. The car has the later mechanical exhaust valves and atmospheric inlet valves fuelled by what appears to be the original PL pancake top carburettor. 5033 is fitted with coachbuilt timber and alloy clad coachwork in the style of a rear entrance Tonneau complete with original Rolls & Co. of Rolls Royce fame brass footplates. C.S Rolls been the official importer of Panhard et Levassor prior to setting up Rolls Royce a year later. Transmission is via a four-speed gearbox which has recently been manufactured to the exact original specification.
Documentation on file notes the origin of many of the original components including the engine and other major components with the gearbox been re-manufactured at huge cost.
Fitted with an electric start and a modern oil pump for enhanced reliability and drivability, 5033 is roadworthy on today’s roads with a cruising speed upwards of 40MPH. Accompanied by a set of FIVA papers, it is eligible for a number of motoring events including the Austrian Khevenhüller-Metsch rally in Velden am Wörthersee or the Irish Gordon Bennet etc. 5033 drives wonderfully, is easily capable of motoring along at 60 km/h and has adequate gearing to tackle hills with ease and benefits from good brakes to pull the car quickly to a halt.
An imposing Edwardian motor car with electric start and a good turn of speed, this Panhard et Levassor represents one of the finest vehicles of its era and is fantastic value for a powerful four-cylinder example.
The car is festooned with the usual quotient of original Dubrelle dash oilers and greasers, features the most impressive Ducellier bulls-eye brass acetylene lamps, mirrors, horns & other ancillary items.
A tonneau cover is supplied to cover the car when parked & protect it from the elements as are covers for the side and those spectacular acetylene bulls-eye brass head lights.
This is a big spectacular veteran which whilst perhaps lacking the purity of an all original car is none the less a fantastic car to drive offering better safety, driveability and reliability due to its enhanced brakes, electric start and oil pump.
Full dealer facilities available on all of our cars.
Export and Finance arrangements
12 months warranty available